Our new series The Joy of Keiki Cooking features local kids and the food they love to make in the kitchen.
Name: Micaela Hinol
School: Kamalii Elementary
Follow her on Instagram at @cooking_with_micaela
1. How did you learn how to cook? I learned to cook from my mom.
2. What’s the first thing you learned to make? The first thing I learned to make was PB&J sandwich for me and my sister.
3. What’s your favorite ingredient and why? My favorite ingredient is eggs because I love eggs so much at any meal.
4. What meal do you enjoy preparing most and why? Any meal, I love to help cook all the meals.
5. Do you have a signature dish? If so, what is it? I don’t have a signature dish.
6. What’s the last dish you attempted that was a total failure? What did you learn? Nothing, my mom helps me.
7. What tip can you share with other kids who may be scared to try cooking? Start with something simple, like PB&J. Or my recipe I below!
Egg Salad and Avocado Toast
5 hard-boiled eggs
2 tablespoons of mayo ( or to desired consistency)
1 sprig of fresh dill
1/4 tsp of everything but the bagel seasoning. If you don’t have that salt and pepper is yummy to.
a slice of whole wheat bread toasted ( or any bread you like)
1. After cooking the eggs, let cool and peel.
2. Put them in a container and using a potato masher, smash the eggs to desired consistency.
3. Add in the mayo and chopped dill.
4. Mix thoroughly.
5. Spread your egg mixture on your toast.
6. Slice the avocado and lay it over the eggs.
7. Sprinkle on your seasoning and enjoy!