“The soil is the great connector of lives, the source and destination of all. It is the healer and restorer and resurrector, by which disease passes into health, age into youth, death into life. Without proper care for it we can have no community, because without proper care for it we can have no life.” – Wendell Berry
With Maui’s days filled with sunshine and touches of rain, vegetables and fruits grow in abundance on this little island in the Pacific. While farmers markets have grown in popularity across the nation in recent years, the local fruit stand, complete with mangoes and an honor system in place for payment, has been going on in Hawaii for decades. Whether you live on Maui or you are simply passing through, making a stop at a farmers market, or two or three, needs to be on your “do now” list. Wondering when the farmers markets happen on Maui? Here are some to check out.
Please note this list is not exhaustive by any means. Also, be sure to look up the farmers markets to confirm current days/times.
- Honokawai’s Farmers Market Maui, located on 3636 Lower Honoapi’ilani Road, Lahaina.
- Napili Farmers Market, located in a parking lot at Honoapi’ilani Highway and Napilihau Street, Lahaina (near Maui Preparatory School).
South Maui (Kihei/Wailea)
- Lipoa Street Farmer’s Market, located at 95 Lipoa Street, Kihei.
- Maui Tropical Plantation, located at 1670 Honoapi’ilani Highway, Wailuku.
- Queen Ka‘ahumanu Center, located at 275 W. Ka’ahumanu Avenue, Kahului.
- Maui Swap Meet is every Saturday, located at the University of Hawaii, 310 W Ka’ahumanu Avenue, Kahului.
- La’a Kea Community Farm, located at 639 Baldwin Avenue, Paia.
- Maui Nui Farms, located at 151 Pulehunui Road, Kula.
- Upcountry Farmers Market is every Saturday, located at the Kulamalu Town Center on 55 Kiopa’a Street, Pukalani.
- Makawao Farmers Market, located at 3654 Baldwin Avenue, Makawao.
- Kula Country Farms, located right off Kula Highway, a few yards past mile marker 13 (across from Rice Park) in Kula.
East Maui (Hana)
- Ono Organic Farms Market, located at 149 Hana Highway, Hana.
- Hana Fresh Market, located at 4590 Hana Highway, Hana.
Again, these are just a “few” of the wonderful farmers markets Maui has to offer. In addition to these, there are many roadside stands to enjoy fresh produce. Happy, healthy eating!