- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 1 oz can sweetened condensed milk 15, not evaporated
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup roasted cashews chopped (optional)
- 2 cups canned full-fat coconut milk ] about 1 1/2 cans
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean seeds removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut sweetened or unsweetened
- 2-3 cups whipped cream about 1 1/2 cups whipping cream whipped with 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8-9 inch pie plate.
- In a bowl, combine the coconut, egg, honey, butter and salt until the coconut is well moistened. Press the mixture into the prepared pie plate in an even layer.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the bottom is light brown. Remove and set aside to cool.
FILLING + ASSEMBLY
- To make the fudge, heat the chocolate, condensed milk, and cream in a medium sauce pot over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, salt, and cashews (if using). The mixture will be thick but stir slowly until combined.
- Spread about half of the fudge into the pie plate (spread the remaining fudge into a greased baking dish and save for snacking!) so that the fudge layer is about an inch thick. Place in the fridge to set.
- To make the haupia, add the coconut milk, sugar, vanilla bean – pod + seeds, and salt to a medium sauce pot and stir over medium heat until the sugar and salt dissolves. In a small bowl, gradually whisk the cold water into the cornstarch. Reduce the heat to low and whisk the cornstarch mixture into the coconut mixture and allow to reduce and thicken until it is the consistency of yogurt. Stir in the shredded coconut. Allow the pudding to cool slightly and then spread the pudding over the fudge layer. It should come up to the edge of the pie. Place in the fridge until well chilled, about 1-2 hours. Add the whipped cream and either serve or place back in the fridge until ready to serve.