- This event has passed.
CELEBRATE CHINESE NEW YEAR IN LAHAINA AND RING IN YEAR OF THE RABBIT!
January 27 @ 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
One event on June 8, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Lahaina will celebrate the lunar year of the Rabbit at Wo Hing Museum and Cook House on Friday, January 27, 2023 with free festivities for the whole family to enjoy!
10:00am to 7:00pm: Talk Story with Chinese Historian and Collector, Dennis Ryan, and view his collection of jade artifacts and other special cultural antiques.
4:00pm to 7:00pm: Bring the entire `ohana (family)! Cultural activities for all ages include:
- Chinese calligraphy with Mifang Qi
- Chinese knot tying with Brenda Fong
- Mahjong game and skill education with Pauka Maki
- Mapo Tofu Cooking demonstration with Maui’s own Chef Bobby Santos
- Chinese herbs and acupuncture education with Dr Tim Harvey
- Your individual New Year’s reading with Christine Tranka and Jeanie Brew and fun Chinese rabbit crafts for the keiki (children)
5:00pm: Lion Dance with firecrackers by the Au Shaolin Arts Society! Lai see envelopes will be handed out to feed the lion for good luck. The dance will then proceed down Front Street, stopping at stores and restaurants.
6:00pm: Join Dr Basaba Yip for the history of Chinese New Year & the significance of the Lion dance.
Sun Nien Fai Lok – Happy New Year!
Proudly sponsored by Woh Hing Society & the Lahaina Restoration Foundation